An Overview of How to file a consumer protection complaint in Dubai, UAE – Consumer rights?
The Ministry of Economy has set the necessary law for consumer protection Dubai as well as in the other emirates. In addition, the said ministry promotes citizens’ information on the rights and duties of consumers. Therefore, in this sense, it provides protection through the updating of regulations.
In this article, we show you everything that the law contemplates regarding consumer rights Dubai. Likewise, you will find the means to communicate in case you want to file a complaint. Let us see:
- How to make a complaint in consumer protection Dubai
- UAE Consumer Protection Law
- Consumer protection UAE authorities
- How to file a consumer complaint Dubai and against an employer
- How can we help you file a consumer protection Dubai complaint?
1. How to make a complaint in consumer protection Dubai
Due to the varied shopping opportunities offered by the United Arab Emirates, the government has established consumer protection Dubai laws. In this way, the country continues to be one of the commercial destinations for foreigners from all over the world. In addition, these measures ensure greater confidence for consumers, without neglecting merchants.
For this purpose, the ministry established since 2006, a law to protect the consumer rights Dubai and other emirates. Therefore, consumers can make complaints to the authorities in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, and the other emirates.
1.1 Dubai consumer protection rights and in other emirates – Abu Dhabi, Sharjah
The Dubai consumer rights protection is guaranteed by the UAE Ministry of Economy. Moreover, the specific body within this ministry that manages all related matters is the Department of Consumer Safety. In general, this department performs the following functions:
- Enforce consumer protection laws and regulations in union with the authorities.
- Address bad business practices that can harm the customer.
- Control the prices of products and services, to prevent them from rising excessively.
- Inform consumers regarding the consumption of certain products and services.
- Keep consumers informed about their rights and duties. Additionally, information about the means to put their Dubai consumer rights complaints or in Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, etc.
- Make publications and plans that help customers better understand the processes.
- Fight against commercial monopolies.
- Promote fair competition between merchants and service providers.
- Resolve the Dubai consumer complaints and UAE consumers in all its extension.
- Announce the removal of damaged items, which is published on its website.
All these procedures and activities are carried out to protect the interests of customers, retailers, and suppliers. Together, this serves to maintain and give greater stability to the market.
The Ministry of Economy has a telephone number so that you can communicate directly, (+971 600 522 225). Thus, by calling the said number, you can obtain information regarding violations of consumer rights. At the same time, you can make your inquiries to the email provided by the said ministry, firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. UAE Consumer Protection Law
As you have seen, the Ministry of Economy is in charge of protecting consumer rights Dubai and in each emirate. Therefore, it established the Federal Consumer Protection Law number 24 of 2006. In said law, both the duties and the rights of the consumer are established, as well as other guarantees.
The latter include rules to prevent monopolies, illegal trade, and overpricing, among others. Speaking of this law, we begin by detailing consumer protection Dubai rights.
2.1 Consumer rights Abu Dhabi and other emirates
You must know your rights Dubai so that you can know if they are violated at any time. Also, this will help you to be clear about when to make your complaints in case the above happens. Here are the rights you have as a consumer:
- To the protection of goods and services that may be harmful to the health and safety of the client.
- The right to know the details of the products exactly. In this case, some details include origin, expiration date, product ingredients, etc.
- Also, consumers have the right to choose the product or service they want, of good quality and at competitive prices.
- Another consumer rights Sharjah and all of UAE is to give his opinion about the quality and availability of products and services.
- Likewise, the law guarantees information to consumers about their rights and duties. In this sense, the ministry organizes and develops awareness campaigns to achieve this purpose.
2.2 Duties of consumers in the UAE
Apart from consumer protection Dubai rights, they also have certain duties. These consist of the following:
- Review the details of the products and services, as well as verify the availability and compare them before buying them.
- Ensure that the service or product meets the agreed criteria.
- Make sure to obtain the purchase invoice and verify that everything is in order before confirming the deal.
- Make sure that the product and service manual is followed, as well as the correct advice.
- Also, before filing a consumer complaint Abu Dhabi, the customer must visit the place of purchase. In this way, they will have the opportunity to expose the problem to the seller and thus find a viable solution. However, the customer must be aware of the product return and replacement policies.
- The customer should file a consumer rights complaint if a provider of products or services is engaging in fraudulent activity. In addition, you must report those merchants who do not comply with the laws or regulations.
2.3 Update of the law
The UAE authorities created a new consumer protection Dubai law in 2019. In addition, this line is aligned with the Unified Consumer Protection Law of the countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC). This way, all the obligations and rights of customers and the relations between manufacturers, advertisers, and companies are further fortified.
In addition to keeping certain consumer rights Dubai and duties, they also contain other aspects that reinforce the above. These include the following:
- Ensure the supply of goods and services, meeting the needs of customers, according to production and distribution trends.
- Establish control over policies that may harm customers and consumers.
- Provide the necessary protection to consumers due to electronic commerce technology.
- Promote sustainable consumption.
- Motivate producers and distributors to establish a code of ethics.
3. Consumer protection UAE authorities
The Department of Economic Development (DED) has an office in all the emirates, to protect the consumer rights Dubai and the entire territory. Below, we provide the means of contact in the United Arab Emirates.
Consumer protection Abu Dhabi
- Abu Dhabi Department of Economic Development
- Telephone: +971 2 815 8888
- Website: added.gov.ae/
Consumer protection Dubai
- Dubai Economy
- Telephone: +971 55 524 3666
- Website: eservices.dubaided.gov.ae/
Consumer protection Sharjah
- Sharjah Department of Economic Development
- Telephone: +971 6 512 2222
- Website: www.sedd.ae/ar/web/sedd/home/
Consumer Protection Ras Al Khaimah
- Khaimah Department of Economic Development
- Phone: 072271222
- Website: www.ded.rak.ae/en/
Consumer Protection Ajman
- Ajman Department of Economic Development
- Telephone: +971 800 70
- Website: www.ajmanded.ae/en/
Consumer Protection Umm Al-Quwain
- Department of Economic Development of Umm Al Quwain
- Telephone: +971 2 8158888
- Website: ded.uaq.ae/en/home/
Therefore, you have all these alternatives in case you want to file a complaint.
3.1 Other consumer rights Dubai departments
In addition to the departments named above, others manage Sharjah consumer rights in Dubai, etc.
3.1.2 Abu Dhabi Agriculture and Food Safety Authority
This authority watches over agricultural and food security, as well as the animal wealth of the Emirates. In addition, it promotes and contributes to research in all related areas, following scientific advances. Thus, it establishes the norms and rules in the areas of responsibility that it covers.
3.1.3 Emirates Authority for Standardization and Metrology
This body protects and provides essential measures for products exported by or manufactured in the UAE. Additionally, this authority regulates gas, electrical and chemical devices.
3.1.4 Abu Dhabi Council for Quality and Conformity
In the case of this government agency, its main task is to create public awareness about quality or building standards. Therefore, it established consumer protection UAE Manaa, with which it offers information on any product. It also applied the initiative of quality partners for companies.
In this way, they will be able to adhere to safety and quality standards, with their assessment plans and voluntary contributions.
4. How to file a consumer complaint Dubai and against an employer
To protect consumer rights Dubai, the Department of Economic Development receives and manages consumer complaints. However, you should keep in mind that the complaint must be filed in the emirate where you purchased the product or service. You should also determine in which emirate the license of the defendant was issued.
Below you can see the steps to file a complaint with the UAE consumer services:
- The UAE consumer protection website of the relevant emirate.
- Select “Submit Complaint”.
- Click on “Consumer Complaints”.
- You will then receive a prompt and must follow the system instructions.
- In this section, you must include your personal data (name, telephone number, email, and nationality).
- Write the details of the complaint below (name of the respondent, industry, issue, details, and type of complaint).
- You must upload the required documents, such as receipts or contracts.
- You must check the terms and conditions box to accept them.
- To finish, click “Submit”.
Also, you can file a consumer complaint Dubai through the “Dubai consumer” mobile app for Android and iOS phones. In the case of the other emirates, the process is similar; you just have to take into account the above requirements.
4.1 How to complain about a company in Dubai
If you want to file a complaint about unfair treatment by a company or employer, you can do so at the MOHRE. The Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratization is the body in charge of receiving and handling such complaints.
4.1.1 Steps to file a complaint with the MOHRE
To make a report, simply follow these steps:
- Go to the MOHRE website, mohre.gov.ae.
- Select “Services”.
- Then go to “File Labor Complaints”.
- Select “Register”.
- Click on “Start Service” and select the type of complaint.
- Enter the details requested by the system.
- Next, fill in all the information in the complaint.
- To finish the process, click on “Submit”
In the same way, there are two other methods to present these complaints, they are the following:
- Call the telephone number available to the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratization, +971 4 607 3555.
- Through a Tasheel service center, in which you can manage many labor services. In this case, you must go to one of these centers with all the documents.
4.1.2 How to check the status of your complaint
To do this, just follow these simple steps:
- Enter the official website of the MOHRE.
- Enter the reference number of your complaint.
- Click “Submit”.
Thus, upon completion of these steps, the status of your complaint will appear on the screen.
5. How can we help you file a consumer protection Dubai complaint?
The UAE Ministry of Commerce established consumer protection laws to look after the benefits of consumers. These laws define both the rights and duties of consumers of products and services. Consequently, the consumer court Dubai is in charge of deciding all related complaints, with similar entities in each emirate.
Therefore, you must know what Abu Dhabi consumer rights are, as well as all over the territory. Thus, in these cases, you can ask for our professional help as we are experts in the types of laws of the UAE. Connect Legal provides some services in the following practice areas:
Do you want to know more about consumer rights in Dubai and the other emirates?
On the other hand, you can register on thetalentpoint.com page, or update your profile to find out about current job offers. Also, you have the option to send your resume to email@example.com.