Ejari cancellation Guidebook- tenancy contract cancellation, fees
To reside in the UAE or to look for a physical office for your company you need to enter into a rental agreement. However, carrying out this process also involves the Ejari. And, whenever you want to leave, you have to cancel the rental agreement, and also go through the Ejari cancellation. The Ejari may be a new concept for foreigners, and thus they may not know much about it. But, it is important to know how to cancel it so you can avoid facing legal repercussions.
In this article, you are going to learn more about the Ejari cancellation and how to go through this process. Moreover, you are going to gain more insight into how a corporate lawyer can help you in this matter.
- Why do rental agreements in Dubai are incomplete without Ejari?
- When can I cancel Ejari in Dubai?
- Procedure for Ejari cancellation: how to cancel Ejari
- How to cancel Ejari online?
- How much does it cost to cancel Ejari?
- Frequently asked questions about Ejari cancellation?
- How Connect Legal can assist with Ejari cancellation?
1. Why do rental agreements in Dubai are incomplete without Ejari?
Ejari is a system implemented by the UAE’s government to attest and register tenancy contracts. Although it may be something common for Emiratis, newcomers may not understand it very well.
However, the most important to know is that a rental agreement in Dubai is incomplete without Ejari. If you do not obtain the Ejari registration when you rent an office, for example, you may not obtain your business license since it is a vital requirement.
Ejari was created in 2007 and it has worked to resolve rental disputes and protect both parties’ rights. However, it started to be mandatory in 2010.
Thus, every tenancy contract should be registered as long as its subsequent renewals into the Ejari system. With the Ejari registration, the rental agreement is considered valid.
Similarly, at the end of the tenancy period, if you do not want to renew it, you must cancel the Ejari.
1.1 Why do I need to register my tenancy contract in Ejari?
Here we have the reasons why you need the tenancy contract to be registered in Ejari:
- The Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) request the Ejari certificate to open an account. Thus, without the Ejari registration, you cannot have water or electricity.
- Building management request an Ejari certificate before issuing moving permits, access cards, and more.
- You can take a rental dispute to a local court in case something bad has happened as long as the tenancy contract is registered in Ejari.
1.2 Do I need to renew my Ejari?
Every time that you renew your tenancy contract, you have to renew your Ejari. Thus, you will have to do this process likely once a year. Even if you are not moving, if you are renewing your tenancy contract, you also have to renew your Ejari.
1.3 Can I cancel my Ejari?
Since the Ejari is mandatory, it is important to register the tenancy contract, but it is equally important to cancel it if you want to finish the rental agreement.
Who should cancel the Ejari? The landlord and the tenant are responsible for cancelling it. Also, whenever you want to rent a property, you have to make sure the landlord has cancelled the previous Ejari, otherwise, you may not be able to move.
2. When can I cancel Ejari in Dubai?
Whether you are a landlord or a tenant you can request the Ejari cancellation. You can do any of the following:
- Early termination of the tenancy contract.
- Cancellation of the tenancy contract, in case both parties do not want to renew it at the end of the lease.
It is worth noting that your Ejari does not cancel automatically once the tenancy contract has expired. You need to go through the cancellation process to ensure everything is settled.
If you do not cancel your Ejari, you may face bad consequences. For example, if you are a tenant, you may find it harder to relocate to another property. Or, if you are a landlord, it may be harder to lease the property to a new party.
According to RERA law, each property can only have one Ejari registration. This is because the Ejari certificate has a “contract number”. Therefore, the landlord has to cancel the Ejari once the tenant moves out.
3. Procedure for Ejari cancellation: how to cancel Ejari
Once you know that it is mandatory to cancel your Ejari, you need to know how to do this process. You can do the Ejari cancellation online or through a real estate trustee’s centre.
Either way, you will need to gather the documentation to submit it so you can go through the process. Some of the documents you need are the dewa noc and a termination letter.
3.1 Documents required for Ejari cancellation through Real Estate Trustees Centre
- Landlord’s and tenant’s Emirates ID.
- Ejari Certificate.
- Tenant’s passport copy.
- NOC issued by the landlord.
- Last DEWA bill.
- Original unified tenancy contract.
- Cancel contract letter by the property owner.
- Company’s trade license and owner and manager’s Emirates ID (if the tenant is a company)
If you do not have the Ejari certificate, you can submit the tenancy contract as a substitute. And, about the DEWA bill, it must have the “paid” and “final bill” stamp. Alternatively, you can download the “Green bill” from the DEWA website and submit a copy.
3.2 What should the NOC letter contain?
The landlord is responsible for issuing a NOC since it is a requirement for cancelling the Ejari. The NOC letter should contain the following:
- Landlord’s name.
- Building title.
- DEWA premise number.
- Plot number.
- Tenant’s personal information.
- Statement of vacancy.
- Landlord’s signature (it must match his or her passport’s signature).
- Company seal (if the landlord is a company).
3.3 Documents required to cancel Ejari through the app
To cancel your Ejari certificate through the app, you will need to submit a copy of the unified tenancy contract.
3.4 Additional documents for Ejari cancellation
In some cases, it is necessary to submit additional documentation. Some of them are the following:
- Title deed: in case the property was sold during the tenancy term and the buyer took over the lease. If this is the case, it is also required to submit the new owner’s Emirates ID or passport copy (if he or she is non-resident)
- Power of Attorney in case a landlord’s representative signed the tenancy contract. It is also mandatory to submit the representatives’ Emirates ID, visa or passport.
4. How to cancel Ejari online?
You can cancel Ejari online by using any of the following means:
4.1 Real Estate Services Trustees Centres
Learn how to cancel Ejari through a trustee centre:
- Go to a Real Estate Service Trustee Centre or an Ejari Cancellation Centre.
- Submit the documents.
- You need to wait for verification and approval.
- Pay the required fee.
- Get your payment receipt and Ejari cancellation.
4.2 Through the Dubai REST app
Here we have the steps you should follow to know how to cancel Ejari in Dubai rest app:
- Download the Dubai REST app.
- Sign up.
- Provide the details needed.
- Attach the required documents.
- Submit your application.
After that, you will have to wait for the review. If your request gets approved, you will receive an email with the notification.
4.3 Through DLD’S website
Lastly, you can cancel your Ejari through the Dubai Land Department’s Website:
- Visit the DLD website.
- Go to the “Services” tab.
- Click on “Tenant”.
- Click on “Real Estate Rental Services”.
- Select “Request for Cancellation of Ejari Contract”.
- Click “Access this service”.
Here you have two alternatives, you can log in to your DLD account as a tenant, owner, individual, or business user, or log in through the UAE Pass:
- Log in to your DLD account: Enter your Emirates ID or user name and password and then enter the Emirates ID or title deed.
- UAE Pass: enter your Emirates ID or mobile number to log in, and then proceed with the process completion
5. How much does it cost to cancel Ejari?
Cancelling your Ejari is not a tedious process. But also you have to keep in mind that it has a cost depending on the method you use. For example, if you use the REST app, it is completely free.
But, if you go to a trustee centre, you will have to pay a fee of AED 40 plus VAT. Therefore, you have to choose the option that best suits you.
Also, it is important to point out that you do not have to pay anything in case you do a late Ejari cancellation. The cost remains the same regardless of when you get your Ejari cancelled. This is great news for those tenants or landlords that sometimes forget to do these processes.
Nevertheless, keep in mind that it is mandatory to cancel it, so do not forget it. If you find it difficult to do this process, you can always look for legal advice.
5.1 Ejari contact details
If you want to cancel your Ejari personally, you need to know the contact details so you can go there when it is the proper time. There are many Ejari centres in Dubai where you can process your request, you just have to look for the one that is near you.
Here we have the complete information:
- Location: Al Manara Centre, Al Taresh Centre, Al Tabu Centre, and much more.
- Monday-Thursday: 07:30 AM to 3:30 PM / Friday: 07:30 AM to 12:00 PM.
- Customer Service: Monday-Friday: 07:30 AM to 04:30 PM.
- Contact number: 800-4488.
6. Frequently asked questions about Ejari cancellation
Since the Ejari cancellation can be an overwhelming process, it is important to solve all of your doubts. Here we have some of the most frequently asked questions:
6.1 How can I check Ejari status?
Once the Ejari has been registered, you can check the contract number and the DEWA number in the certificate. After that, you can enter the Dubai Land Website and use these two numbers to check your status.
6.2 What is the cost to cancel Ejari online?
The Ejari cancellation fee through the app or online is completely free.
6.3 How much time does it take to cancel Ejari in Dubai?
The length of the process to cancel your Ejari depends on the type of service channel you use. For example, if you go to a Trustee Centre, it may take four working hours. However, if you prefer to cancel it through the app, the cancellation is instant.
6.4 Can you cancel Ejari online?
If you do not want to go to a Real Estate Services Trustee Centre you can cancel your Ejari online without any trouble. You can use the Dubai REST App or the DLD’s official website, and it will only take a few minutes.
7. How Connect Legal can assist with Ejari cancellation?
Connect Legal is your go-to option when it comes to dealing with legal issues in the UAE. Here you can find the best lawyers that will provide valuable insights to support you with any requirements you may have.
- UAE Labour Law.
- Banking and Finance.
- General Civil Law.
- Commercial Property.
- Islamic Finance.
- Accident Law.
Do you need assistance with Ejari cancellation?
We can help you with your tenancy contract cancellation and much more. Just contact us at +971 43 316 688 or send us an email at email@example.com with all of your questions and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
On the other hand, if you want to start your job search in the Middle East, you have to visit The Talent Point. Go to thetalentpoint.com and register in a few steps so you can start applying for the best vacancies that suit your profile. Send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive additional support.